Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Dance poses

Had fun doing a self portrait and drawing out dance poses :)

My first selfie. Took me about ten drawings before getting it right haha.


Figure studyin'. It really helps to draw what the pose feels rather than what it looks like. Talking to yourself helps too. For instance, looking at the bottom drawing with the lady that has her elbows up. I was trying to draw the "Ah, this is the life" feeling.


These were really fun since I used to dance a lot :D  Hiphop that is.





2 comments:

JQ said...

Love the dance sketches! I don't know if it just stands out more with these ones then some of your others, but they seem to have more weight to them. As in, you can tell which foot their weight is on and just the positioning of their body seems more proportionally balanced. You actually have a sense of gravity and that there is ground beneath their feet. I don't know how else to describe it, but it adds another dimension to the sketch. Adding weight makes it seem that much more real, especially in movement. Good work! - JQ

Mark Pamintuan said...

Thanks JQ! I know exactly what you're talking about. Putting weight on the drawing is always a challenge for me but for some reason I connected more and had fun doing these dance sketches haha. Maybe because I used to dance a lot (Woodway HipHop woot! haha) and I know more how each pose feels. Thanks for your input JQ! It's always nice to know what others think so I know what I need to do :D